- Students need guidance on the use of complex coding applications as well as on writing code;
- Enable informed user choice when recommending software systems such as integrated development environments (IDEs);
- Simple interfaces will generally be more useable for screen reader users;
- Systems where users can select an editor that suits their needs are preferable those where no choice is possible;
- Ensure that students understand the use of syntax highlighting;
- Try to select systems of syntax highlighting that can be understood by screen reader users;
- Systems where output can be produced in screen readable documents (rather than just as command line output) are preferred.
Accessible coding tips